WHAT ARE THOSE CRAZY “HEADSTAND HELPER UPPERS” AT YOGA SOL?
.If you haven’t experienced a Yoga Sol class yet using the BODYLIFT™, or as we call it, “Headstand Helper Upper”, let me explain what the magic is all about. Basically, it allows you to do a more accessible headstand – a non-weight bearing headstand.
You may ask why headstand…
When you think about, we began life upside down in our mother’s womb, preparing for a head first entry into a world dominated by gravity. Considering this and the amazing benefits of inversions – it all makes sense!
The benefits are powerful if done with correct alignment and safety. Headstand (Sirsasana) increases blood flow to the brain and stimulates the pituitary gland which revitalizes the mind and central nervous system. The pose works muscles in the neck, shoulders, arms, back and abdomen, which strengthens and revitalizes the entire body. The inversion increases blood circulation to the legs and head, aids deep diaphragmic breathing to expel toxins, and can relieve the daily effects of gravity on the spine. The pose is considered to have a profound effect on anxiety and other nervous conditions, and is powerful in boosting the immune system.
The Magic of the “Headstand Helper Upper” …
A perfect headstand is a thing of beauty, but many of us can’t or shouldn’t do the classic pose. Traditional headstand requires open shoulders, a strong core and no cervical spinal sensitivity. Don’t be discouraged; many of us need to use caution to avoid ending up in a wobbly position attempting to balance the rest of the body onto a fragile neck. Our “Headstand Helper Upper” allows practitioners who choose not to do a weight bearing headstand, to essentially do the pose with a “free neck”. The prop helps support the neck. Shoulders rest on the foam cushion. The head dangles off the floor with a long neck naturally stretching to relieve tension.
And to really make you a believer of the powerful benefits of headstand – recap below…
• Improves circulation
• Reduces stress & anxiety
• Improves digestion
• Increases metabolism
• Tones the abdominals and legs
• Increases the production of sex hormones
• Stimulates the nervous system
• Improves posture and strengthens the lungs
• Aids in reversing the effects of sleep loss, lethargy, and memory loss
• Increases the glow of face and decreases the dark circles around the eyes by raising the blood flow to the brain
• Decongests internal organs: kidneys, liver, intestines, stomach and reproductive organs by reversing the gravity pull
• Aids in the treatment of headaches, sinusitis, hay fever, diabetes, depression and symptoms of menopause
• Relieves fluid buildup in the legs and feet
• Reduces varicose veins
Come check it out! I use the headstand helper upper a fair amount in my Yoga With Ropes classes. Feel free to request them in the Flow classes – just ask your favorite instructor.